Please sign and share the petition 'Tighten regulation on taking, making and faking explicit images' at Change.org initiated by Helen Mort to the w:Law Commission (England and Wales) to properly update UK Laws against synthesis and other related crimes. Only name and email required to support, no nationality requirement.
How to protect yourself and others from covert modeling
Help in case of appearance theft
Information on removing involuntary fake pornography from Google at support.google.com if it shows up in Google. Form for removing involuntary fake pornography at support.google.com, select "I want to remove: A fake nude or sexually explicit picture or video of myself"
Google added “involuntary synthetic pornographic imagery” to its ban list in September 2018, allowing anyone to request the search engine block results that falsely depict them as “nude or in a sexually explicit situation.” On 3rd of October 2019 California outlawed with the AB-602 the use of w:human image synthesis technologies to make fake pornography without the consent of the people depicted in. The law was authored by Assembly member w:Marc Berman.
Protect your appearance from covert modeling
- Avoid uploading facial and full body photos and video of yourself to services where they are exposed to the whole Internet.
- If you need to upload photos, wear protective clothing, e.g. niqāb or burqa or protective accessories e.g. sunglasses.
- Consider getting a non-photorealistic w:avatar of your liking and use pictures of it to shield your appearance.
- Do not agree or get fooled to having your reflectance captured in a light stage.
Protect your voice from covert modeling
- Avoid uploading unaltered recordings of your w:human voice to services where they are exposed to the whole Internet.
- Consider altering the voice of your recordings if you must upload to the Internet with a voice changer or synthetic voice that does not match any human's voice.
- Avoid getting recorded by parties whose identity and reliability you cannot verify, especially if they do not expressly state how, where and for what purpose they will use the recording
- Ask for a voice changer to be applied if getting recorded to something that will be publicly broadcast
Protect your mind from the products of covert modeling
- Teach your loved ones the 2 key media literacy skills for this age of industrial disinformation:
- Not everything that looks like a video of people is actually a video of people
- Not everything that sounds like a recording of a known human's voice is actually a recording of that person's voice.
- Don't watch porn. A dodgy porn site or few is a hefty risk of seeing some digital look-alikes.
- Be critical of gossip about stuff claimed seen on the Internet.
Protect others from the products of covert modeling
- Read #Protect your mind from the products of covert modeling first. It is usually found above this. Also reading it to others has potential to help them.
- If you have strong evidence to suggest that some person may be under the influence of digital look-alikes, try to talk to them. The BCM! wiki glossary helps talk about things with their real names.
How to protect the humankind from products of covert appearance modeling
Adequate Porn Watcher AI (concept) is name for concept development to make an AI to look at and model all findable porn to provide protection the humankind and individual humans by modeling what it sees.
The reason why APW_AI makes sense is that if you can trust the service providers to keep safe your own model it will alert you when it finds something that looks really like a match and therefore lifting the looming threat of digital look-alike attacks and the destructiveness of the attacks that take place considerably lower and thus also the monetary value to the criminals.
How to protect our societies from covert modeling
Contact your representatives
Contact your representatives and ask them ...
- If they are aware of these new classes of disinformation weapons?
- What is their position on the criminalizing covert modeling-question?
- If steps are being taken to protect the judiciary from covert modeling?
- What, if anything, they are doing to put this hyper-modern lawlessness under some check?
- To talk with colleagues and also publicly about the problems caused by covert modeling.
If they don't believe ask them to...
- Work for the creation of fact-finding taskforce to ascertain the truth that synthetic terror porn has been used as a weapon for a longer time.
How to protect judiciaries from covert modeling
Recordings that sound like someone saying something may not be genuine and therefore the suspect should be allowed to state to the court "I did never say that thing you got on tape."
Pictures and videos that looks like someone doing something may not be genuine and therefore the suspect should be allowed to state to the court "I am not in that image/video."
If media forensics proves beyond suspicion the genuinity of the media in question or if credible witness to its creation is found, the media should be considered evidence.
Harwell, Drew (2018-12-30). "Fake-porn videos are being weaponized to harass and humiliate women: 'Everybody is a potential target'". w:The Washington Post. Retrieved 2021-01-31.
In September [of 2018], Google added “involuntary synthetic pornographic imagery” to its ban list
- Mihalcik, Carrie (2019-10-04). "California laws seek to crack down on deepfakes in politics and porn". w:cnet.com. w:CNET. Retrieved 2021-01-31.