Please sign and share the petition 'Tighten regulation on taking, making and faking explicit images' at Change.org initiated by Helen Mort to the w:Law Commission (England and Wales) to properly update UK laws against synthetic filth. Only name and email required to support, no nationality requirement.
- Donald Sherman orders a pizza using a talking computer, Dec 4, 1974 at Youtube.com. This speech synthesizer by w:Michigan State University is claimed to be the first one to be used for speech w:prosthesis in history on 1974-12-04. Domino's missed their chance to make history by hanging up the call thinking it is just some prank. Mr. Mike's pizza was the first pizza parlor to take a pizza order via speech synthesis
- The Birth of the Synthetic Voice at jmpelletier.com[1st seen in 1] written by Jean-Marc Pelletier holds the view that the first voice synthesis took place in 1931 and was not done with computers.
- https://uk.pcmag.com/features/95255/when-ai-blurs-the-line-between-reality-and-fiction - 2018-06-07
- https://www.lawfareblog.com/alls-clear-deepfakes-think-again by Robert "Bobby" Chesney, w:Danielle Citron and w:Hany Farid published on Monday 2020-05-11 in w:Lawfare (blog) of w:Lawfare.
- https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2020/09/01/disinformation-deepfakes-newsguard-video-authenticator/ - announcing the Microsoft Video Authenticator on 2020-09-01
- https://www.ted.com/talks/supasorn_suwajanakorn_fake_videos_of_real_people_and_how_to_spot_them by Supasorn Suwajanakorn at TED2018
- https://www.ted.com/talks/danielle_citron_how_deepfakes_undermine_truth_and_threaten_democracy by w:Danielle Citron at the TEDSummit 2019
- w:Existential risk from artificial general intelligence
- 'Dating apps need women. Advertisers need diversity. AI companies offer a solution: Fake people' at washingtonpost.com, 2020-01-07 technology reporting by Drew Harwell
Content moved elsewhere
- Synthetic human-like fakes § Digital sing-alikes
- Resources § Explore
- Synthetic human-like fakes § Age analysis and rejuvenating and aging syntheses
Digital look-alikes, lighting capture, simulation and relighting
- 'Depth estimation meets inverse rendering for single image novel view synthesis' at dl.acm.org published in CVMP '19: European Conference on Visual Media Production in December 2019
- 'Deep view synthesis from sparse photometric images' at dl.acm.org[1st seen in 2] presented at the w:ACM Transactions on Graphics in July 2019. View or download a video of the presentation of the work from the acm.org-link.
- 'Local light field fusion: practical view synthesis with prescriptive sampling guidelines' at dl.acm.org presented at the w:ACM Transactions on Graphics in July 2019
- 'Deep view synthesis from sparse photometric images' at dl.acm.org presented at the w:ACM Transactions on Graphics in July 2019
- 'Deep reflectance fields: high-quality facial reflectance field inference from color gradient illumination' at dl.acm.org[1st seen in 3] presented at the w:ACM Transactions on Graphics in July 2019. View or download video of the presentation of the work from the acm.org link.
- 'High-fidelity facial reflectance and geometry inference from an unconstrained image' at dl.acm.org[1st seen in 3], a w:deep learning-based technique described in a paper presented at the w:ACM Transactions on Graphics in July 2018
- 'Computational Methods for Capture and Reproduction of Photorealistic Surface Appearance' at aaltodoc.aalto.fi, a 2016 doctoral dissertation by Miika Aittala at the w:Aalto University
- 'Face Modelling and Tracking from Range Scans' at researchgate.net (.pdf available), a January 2010 paper
- 'Facial Modeling and Animation' at researchgate.net by Jörg Haber of the w:Max Planck Institute for Informatics (August 2004)
- 'Generative Adversarial Networks for Speech Synthesis' at aaltodoc.aalto.fi, a master's thesis by Kasperi Palkama from June 2020 in w:Aalto University[1st seen in 4]
- "Shall We Play a Game?: The Rise of the Military-Entertainment Complex" at transcend.org[1st seen in 5] (2013-09-23)
- "Synthetic media, ethics, & commercial potential" at samsungnext.com (2020-11-07)
- "Facebook is using more AI to detect hate speech" at venturebeat.com (2020-05-12)
- Harvest  for info on companies and their products and services.
Synthetic media landscape
- https://www.syntheticmedialandscape.com/ by Samsung Next. Downloading the guide requires contact info. Source of https://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Synthethic-Media-Landscape.jpg that is a chart of the industry
- 'Introducing the Bots Landscape: 170+ companies, $4 billion in funding, thousands of bots' at venturebeat.com (2016-08-11)
- 'Introducing the European Bots Landscape' at venturebeat.com (2017-01-20)
- '155 chatbots in this brand new landscape. Where does your bot fit?' at venturebeat.com (2017-06-26)
Chesney, Bobby; Citron, Danielle; Farid, Hany (2020-05-11). "All's Clear for Deepfakes: Think Again". Lawfare (blog). Lawfare. Archived from the original on 2021-08-24. Retrieved 2021-08-24.
Consider the fate that befell journalist and human rights activist Rana Ayyub. When a deepfake sex video appeared in April 2018 showing Ayyub engaged in a sex act in which she never engaged, the video spread like wildfire. Within 48 hours, the video appeared on more than half of the cellphones in India. Ayyub’s Facebook profile and Twitter account were overrun with death and rape threats. Posters disclosed her home addressed and claimed that she was available for anonymous sex.